When water damage occurs to the interior of a vehicle, it can be very expensive to repair. Even forgetting to close the window can lead to damage to the seats, flooring and electrical components.
In some situations, auto insurance can help cover these losses. In other situations, it does not provide financial support to you. The type of policy you have and the cause of the incident play the biggest role in this decision.
What Coverage Do You Have?
Only comprehensive auto insurance will provide coverage for water damage in most cases. This type of coverage protects your vehicle from damage caused by non-accident incidents. Check the exclusions of your plan to find out what it can do for you. Take a look at how this insurance can help you.
- Hailstorms can damage the glass on a vehicle causing leaks. Comprehensive coverage may help cover water damage and the window in this case.
- Flooding from rising waters, such as after a heavy rain, can lead to significant damage. The damage may impact the interior and the engine.
- Leaks after the rain are another potential cause. This may be due to poor sealing around the doors or windows. Auto insurance does not pay for this type of loss. It is up to you to maintain the proper function of your vehicle.
- You left the window open, and it rained. In this situation, car insurance will likely not cover the damage. Because you failed to secure the vehicle, the policy does not extend coverage to this claim.
- A storm occurs, a window breaks, and your laptop in the vehicle suffers damage. While contents coverage may apply, most policies do not provide coverage for water damage to these items.
If you have general liability insurance only, you generally have no coverage for your vehicle specifically. Upgrading to a comprehensive car insurance plan is important. It is also important to obtain the very best level of comprehensive coverage. Verify any exclusions on the plan, too. These are types of incidents not covered by your plan.
Take these steps now. Do so before you have to file a claim. That gives you the best chance to get the help you need. Report any damage to your agent as soon as possible. This will help expedite all the claims process for your car.
Let Reliable Insurance Managers, Inc. help you find an effective policy right now. Call us at 713-227-7283 for a Houston auto insurance quote.